Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Journey So Far...


Life right now seems like a movie in the fast forward mode. It seems as if just a few days back, I came to Joka with bags packed with clothes and a heart packed with a mixture of pride, anxiety, hope and excitement, ready to embark upon an unknown journey. Its been a good 7 months since then marking the end of a quarter of my MBA.

When I came to IIM Calcutta, right after finishing my engineering, I had certain preset notions about life in a college-away-from-home. Though I had heard that life at an IIM is going to be different, I thought to myself - what difference does a few more assignments and a compulsory attendance system would make to hostel life (I was a fairly regular student in BITS despite its no-compulsory-attendance rule). Little did I know, my life would become a roller coaster ride in just few days of coming to Joka. I won't explicitly describe the first 10 days in Joka; lets just say I felt like Alice in Wonderland except the fact that I was expected to act like Superman in Metropolis.

The general belief is - as you grow up, you become more liberal, you have freedom to do things as you wish to. But here, it was different. I felt like I went one step behind instead of going forward. Though, this could be because BITS was far too liberal I guess. Here, you not only have to attend every class but also read prior to it. The assignments are usually in groups (which has its both upsides and downsides (read: free riders)). But academics was just the teaser, the full version was called Summers (the summer internship placement process). Apart from CV making, CV reviewing, PPT attending and preparation we had to do one big thing - choosing the sector of your interest for internship. Well, for most freshers like me - it is nothing but taking the best you can get based on your CV from the pre-defined universally accepted order of preference. Soon enough, you realize that whatever you did or will do in the future, is weighed it terms of CV points.

This is where I would have ended the post if I was writing a few months back. (Of course I did not have the time to post then). But I realized there is more than it meets the eye. The very attendance rule I cribbed about made me realize what I'd have missed if I had slept in my room the day Mr. Anoop Sinha gave insights on the current European economic crisis. If not for the numerous group assignments, I wouldn't have met some wonderful people with their even more wonderful ideas. As for the free riders - I am sure, I will have to deal with a lot many in the future and I'd rather be prepared for it. The placement process does sometimes makes you feel more like a commodity and less like a person - forced to accept what others choose for us. But why do we keep forgetting that it is just a 2 month internship - constituting just about 0.2% of your lifetime (side-effect of MBA: you start quantifying facts). And it is meant for experimenting! So why not experiment with the best you can get right now? It may happen that you end up hating your work. Then it just means, you have one less sector to choose from when you sit for your finals! It surely may not seem as simple as that right now but I choose to believe that couple of years down the line, I won't remember the stipend I was paid during the internship or the kind of work I was asked to do, but I'll remember the fun I had with my fellow interns.

To sum up, life in an MBA college may be hectic, may make you feel disillusioned at times, but it does help you realize your true potential (yes, the numbers of hours you can stay awake at one go adds to it). Learning comes through various sources - sometimes from people you least expect. And who says you don't make real friends at an MBA college? I am lucky to have found friends who never miss a chance to take my case or never fail to cheer me up when I feel the least like it :-)

2 comments: