Monday, April 8, 2013

Looking back at IIM C..

What did I gain from the past two years? Was the MBA worth it?
I don't have a clear cut answer, but I'll let you decide when I finish.

I joined IIM Calcutta as a fresher. In my previous post, My journey so far, I had mentioned about the life at Joka after a good 7 months into the MBA program. But I feel, there is much more to add to it after the completion of the program. Trust me there is a lot and this post may not do justice to it but I will try to cover as much as I can or till I till I get bored, whichever is earlier (Both cases, you will surely get bored bwhahaha :D)

As I mentioned in the earlier post, that campus life here is quite different from the undergrad one. Reasons being simple - people here are more focused as to what they want from here (or at least pretend to be). It's a much diverse set of people (Yes, engineers dominate and girls are few (It's IIM C)), by diversity I mean the age difference, the work experience, international exposure etc. This makes you act in a certain way. It forces you to try to fit in, and when people do that, they need to change. I will speak for myself from now on. After two years, I feel I am a new person altogether. If you ask my BITS friends to describe me using five adjectives and compare the same with IIMC friends, I am quite sure, they won't match - in fact some might even be opposites (I should probably do this). Of course, the core me is still the same - that's never going to change.

So how have I changed and why? I am outgoing, confident, comfortable around new people, hardly do not take time to open up. These are some qualities almost everyone develops here (at least applies to freshers) There might be multiple reasons for this - firstly, there was a conscious effort from my side to bring about this change plus its a pretty important. The culture is such. You interact a lot more with seniors, take their help for    placement prep,you work in teams for every project, you work in clubs etc. Dramatics was a big contributor for this change, it was something new for me. However bad or good the actor I may be it still gave me the confidence that I can go onto a stage and speak rehearsed lines in a certain manner without being boo-ed. It was a great confidence booster. The international exposure (no, it isn't just another jargon) helped a great deal. I went to Hong Kong for my intern and then traveled around Europe for a term as a part of a student exchange program. The experience has added new dimensions to my thinking. Has made me far more confident that I can deal with new situations, new people and manage on my own.

There are changes which I did not envisage. Changes, which I want to change back.  I have become lazier(!), impatient, leave-it-to-the-last-minute sort of person. I wasn't like this before. I do understand, campus life makes people lazy etc. but its relative, sometimes I feel I have become lazier than most people around me. I have become disorganized and have developed a do-not-give-a-damn-attitude. Things I will consciously try to change going forward.

With these thoughts, I now embark upon a new journey - a completely different one. I have numerous hopes and aspirations from myself and the world around me. Lets see how it goes :)

All the best to all the people embarking on a new journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment