Monday, April 22, 2013

Decision making: Arrrghhhh

Do you go back and forth between options, analyzing, over-analyzing them? Do you feel that you have finally decided to go with one option and at the very next moment decide to chuck it, because someone convinced you to do otherwise? Do you talk to a lot of people about it and end up feeling confused and frustrated?

Well, then you will understand what I go through very often. I reallllly need to learn to decide.
Decision making has never come easy to me. I am fickle. I over-think. I over-analyse. I am not necessarily the kind of person who needs to go with the best option. I will be content if my criteria are met. But, then the problem lies in deciding those criteria. In deciding which one I prefer over the other. At various points different criteria seem more important. 

Currently, I am facing a couple of such decision making problems. I am in the middle of deciding whether I should go for a single occupancy room or a double occupancy room in a 2BHK in Mumbai. Its a decision hinging upon my preference for privacy and peace of mind over potential money saving. (There are a variety of other criteria which make me tilt from one side to another).

Some things I have learnt from my past experience:

1. I have realized the final decision is always on me and I can decide to do what I want if I really wish to, of course might have to put some more effort into it. 
2. More the number of people you ask, more is the confusion. Of course, this doesn't mean you don't ask anyone. Do ask people but only those who will completely understand your situation and are known to make rational, sound decisions and more importantly people you trust. Also, do ask people who will directly get affected by your decisions (don't forget your parents!)
3. Give a deadline to yourself and decide by then, come what may.
4. Once decided, do not regret if it goes wrong. Work to make it right, adjust. No point thinking what if you had taken the other option. Always remember - whatever happens, happens for the best.
5. Go with your gut. More often than not its right.

So now, I am gonna use my fundae to solve my problem.

Chalo happy decision making! (I know its never happy >.<, but still...)

No comments:

Post a Comment